Monday, July 31, 2006

How green was my valley

"The grass is always greener on the other side"…time and again I’ve realized that truer words were hardly ever spoken…the other side in question as pertaining to me is the other side of time. I still remember the days (faintly though) when I was a just a nipper and on every school day would long to be an adult so I wouldn’t have to go to that institute for mentally imbalanced teachers. Gradually though I warmed up to the place aided primarily by fellow juvenile delinquents but there was still that niggling feeling that somehow things would be better when I passed out of school. Then came college, the proverbial "happening phase" of ones life…not much happened for me though. Bollywood movies had had a bad influence on me (so too on most of my friends) and I was opinion that college was the celebrated place for "picking up" girls…that happened but I soon realized that it was grossly over-hyped. Not a day passed in college when I wouldn’t long to be out of it and working. Frankly, I was tired of the academia and wanted out of it by any means necessary. Unlike most other brainiacs from my college I did not revel in the concepts of automata, or algorithms for resolving deadlocks or the implementation of cross compilers. When we were not having classes I thought it more refreshing to discuss the newest movies showing in the city halls and thereby stood in stark contrast to the rest who were busy discussing either their summer training projects or the newest "tech-magazine" that they were planning to launch in the process taking the engineering world by storm. Thankfully I was blessed with the company of a few like minded academia-unsavvy friends who helped keep me sane. What a bunch of unsavory characters we were to the intelligentsia…I shudder at the amount of discomfiture that they had to endure in our company…I believe it was marginally more than what we had to endure in their presence. Anyway, I somehow graduated from college and started working. Not a moment goes by when I don’t long to be back in school. The things I miss most are the vacations…God knows I need a break…I’m absolutely drained. I miss the carefree days when I just wasn’t mature enough to realize that inflation and taxes do affect us. I miss the days when I didn’t have to constantly keep thinking about what I need to do next in life. Only now have I realized how truly green the grass was on the side of the fence i crossed over from, long ago.
For a change now I do not look forward to retirement. I do not look forward to anything in particular. I have decided that it’s better to take things as they come. After all, I am comfortably dumb.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that was something with which almost half the mankind will agree.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Ryche said...

academia unsavvy??? now who would that be?

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home